RebeccaBuckleyTravels

Sunday, September 2, 2012

ENGLAND CANCELED, CALIFORNIA HERE I COME!

Well, there's no comparison, of course, my trip to England is postponed, going to California instead.  Just a quick weekend trip to sell and sign books at the Wasco Rose Festival. I'm an alumnus of Wasco Union High School, so I hope to see some of the ol' classmates and friends of the '50s.  Here's the press release regarding my booth for the event:  R. J. BUCKLEY BOOTH AT ROSE FESTIVAL .

When I was growing up in the small farm town of Wasco (pop. 8000), in the San Joaquin Valley, there weren't any rose fields or rose industry at all, it was cotton and potatoes.  Now ... "55% of all roses grown in the United States are grown in and around Wasco. Over 50 million plants are grown in the area by more than 9 major rose companies. The Wasco Festival of Roses is held every year on the first Saturday after Labor Day Weekend in September."   

Click here to check out the early  HISTORY OF WASCO , it's quite fascinating.   We moved to Wasco in the early '50s from a small community of 300 near Oxnard, CA.  My father ran the local dime store in Wasco ... although I never knew why they called it a dime store, very little cost only a dime. My sisters and I from the age of 10 worked in the store after school and on Saturdays for minimum hourly wage which was 75 cents when I began working, I'm the oldest sibling.  Daddy used our wages to help with living expenses, would give us an allowance out of it, but it took all of his, mother's, and the rest of ours to pay the bills.  I don't know how he did it, raising three girls. And as I recall, we had everything we wanted or needed. And no credit cards in those days.  I have to hand it to him.    In the late '80s, by the way, I too managed a 'dime' store, same company as daddy's, only I was in Rancho Bernardo (southern California).  Funny how things happen.  I was single and it was difficult for me to make it on the salary ... so I don't know how he did it for a family of five.

Yes, Wasco holds many wonderful memories for me ... A. Paul Bergen, who I publish, was a boy friend way back then, in the '50s.  We both went on to marry others, but we've always been friends.  Sad to say, he and his wife Linda won't be able to make the trip from Encinitas CA, but his work will be on display in my booth on Saturday.  His sister, Doris Bergen Lynch, will be there representing him.

Lots of memories ... lots of good memories ...

POSTSCRIPT:  Wasn't able to make the trip ... blood circulation problem, leg was swollen, still is, but isn't a blood clot ... hooray!  Next time, guys!



No comments:

Post a Comment