RebeccaBuckleyTravels

Sunday, March 16, 2014

I'M IN ENGLAND!!!!!!!

At long last I’m in Weymouth, Dorset, UK for 8  days.  It’s been a couple years since I’ve been here and it is just what the doc ordered.  I’ve thought of my son several times a day, missing him, wishing he would have had the chance to come to England with me. It’s still hard to accept that he’s gone forever, just too hard.  But here I am, in the land that I love so much and still want to live here. There has got to be a way.
 
I met a local man Friday night at the pub where we went before dinner on the harbor, he has a home in Portland (where the sailing Olympics were a couple years ago) and has a sea view … nice man, owns a construction company.  This coming Tuesday night I’ll be going with Martin & Ali to a meeting where all the local business people go, sort of like our Chamber of Commerce, I suppose. That should be enlightening, will meet more locals.

Remember, it was my character Honey Ray Howard who met the love of her life in Weymouth Harbour, same as her mother years before … they both fell like a ton of bricks, Honey stayed in England, her mother didn’t unfortunately.  “The Christmas Diary” is the novella, in case you haven’t read it  (available on Amazon as a print book as well as a Kindle, on Smashwords.com too in other digital reader formats).  There is much about Weymouth and the neighboring towns in that book, even my dear friends and B&B owners Martin & Ali Weller … and Chesil Beach, The Cove Inn, Abbotsbury and more.  Some of my gal pals in the States are insisting I be open minded about meeting a man here and possibly cultivate a relationship.  I’m a bit reluctant of course for I believe I’m not meant for intimate relationships, as my history has proven. Lol lol   When I do move here, I want to do it on my own, no strings attached.  But it is nice meeting the locals who might have suggestions on how to do this.  I am open to that.

Speaking of the places in the book … today is Sunday … we’re going to Chesil Beach (near Portland) to have Sunday Lunch at The Cove Inn. It was damaged by the devastating Feb storm that hit the coast of England and Wales and I’ve been reading about the repair to the beach that is being made.  Lot of controversy, most saying the sea will repair the beach itself over time, no need to bring in the bulldozers and place boulders, which is what is being done. Much disagreement going on.  I’ll take photos today while I’m there. Yesterday I was walking along the promenade and was drawn to the drifts of pebbles and seashells piled near the beach wall as a result of the storm.  I need to sift through them and see what I can find for my stash at home, either for making jewelry or just for collecting, either way. 

Tonite we’re going to the Harris’s, Ali’s daughter’s family, who also own a B&B here in Weymouth.  I picked up a few little trinkets for their three sons while I was walking yesterday. I haven’t met them before, so this will be nice.  Kelley is PG with their fourth child, don’t know what it is yet. A girl would be nice, I would imagine. 

Time to take a break, am riding with Martin to the local market to pick up some veggies and fruits for my eating regimen, have been off it since I left the U.S. and I can really feel it.  Oh yes!  So off to the market we go …



No comments:

Post a Comment