RebeccaBuckleyTravels

Saturday, October 22, 2011

ARRIVAL IN ENGLAND . . . October 20

Here we are at the Prince Regent in Weymouth UK. Spacious, lovely room with a sea view. Our window is wide open, can hear the waves hitting the shore and hear the night noises. Last night we arrived after a long, long trip to get here – left home in Arizona at 4:15 a.m on the 19, arrived at our hotel around 8 p.m. on the 20th. Delays along the way with buses, accidents on the M3 highway. Other than missing our first bus and waiting for a later bus that had been caught in traffic and was 45 minutes later than scheduled at Victoria Station in London, and the delays along the way to Weymouth due to horrific accidents, the trip went rather well I would say.

Oh, had a little mishap, my thigh gave away when I first stepped up on the bus. Meaning, it was like a stress burn from too much exercise and it just quit on me. I couldn't get up to go any further, the fellow behind me had to lift me up for me to make it to the seat. The muscle is still very sore and I have to take care in using that leg climbing stairs, but I'm not complaining ... the good part is that my feet are holding up very well. The new supports are working!!!! I am so happy about that. So a strained thigh muscle is okay, I can still walk. It was the feet I was worried about before the trip, and I'm a-okay in that department. Jeez, I sound like an old woman ... lol

The first plane from Phoenix to Miami was like being stuck in a sardine can, I’m telling you they are squeezing more people together on those planes, especially the domestic flights. The international flight wasn’t as tightly packed, but had a full load too. Lot of people traveling these days.

On the international flight I met a very nice man sitting next to me. British, but living in Scottsdale and had been in Tampa for a few days before boarding. Coincidence that he is also living in Arizona. He’s in the music industry, tall, long white hair, interesting looking as well as in conversation. He’s very active in music and the writing of. Enjoyed the conversing for once, usually don’t take part on a plane, usually separate myself from my surroundings, but this time, it was a pleasure having him there. Had dinner with wine and quite a remarkable time, actually. We exchanged info and hopefully we’ll meet up again in this lifetime or the next. Trish and I sat on opposite sides of the plane, both planes.

So, our first night here on the 20th, we checked into the hotel, freshened up and went across the street to a Chinese restaurant on the beach, view wonderful, sea all around us, food even more wonderful. I had chicken chow mein and scallops with cashews ... soooooooo good! Trish had lamb. Then we went back to the hotel and listened to a fellow who was very good with his guitar and canned band, terrific voice, sang country mostly. Fun group of people listening to him. After he finished for the night, Trish went to the room, I went to the ballroom and watched the dancers - mostly seniors here for the ballroom dancing break (holiday) the hotel offers mid-week. Most of the hotels here offer the same. They quit around 1 a.m. and then I gave up and went to the room, didn't take long before I fell asleep that's for sure.

We awoke at 3 p.m. yesterday (21st) and began our first day in Weymouth. I'll tell you about that later ... right now I must get dressed for a walk we're taking to the fort on the other side of the harbour.

Oh, last night a birthday bag was delivered from Martin & Ali - champagne and chocolates - yum yum. I couldn't believe they were still here, I thought they'd left for Florida before we arrived. Damn! I wish I would have known that, we would have gone over to say hi before or after we had our chinese dinner. Their B&B is just a few doors up the road. Darn!

Okay, more later ....

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful for you sweet lady! So thrilled that you're enjoying your stay, and look forward to many more glorious details of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete